If your employer is downsizing as a result of the coronavirus you may be entitled to a redundancy payment. Your employer may also ask you to cut your hours or take unpaid leave. In all of these circumstances there may be financial help available to you.

Where to start?

  1. Table of contents

Welfare Benefits

It is always worth checking to see if you are eligible for benefits such as Universal Credit (UC). You may also be eligible for New Style Job Seekers Allowance or New Style Employment Support Allowance depending on your previous employment circumstances.

We have a Welfare Benefits Team that can help you work out what benefits you may be entitled to. You will also find a full list of other benefits that you might be able to claim.

Our service is free, confidential, impartial and independent. We can answer most questions over the telephone.

We'll help you:

  • decide on which benefits you can claim
  • claim the right benefits so you are getting all the money you can
  • sort out problems with your claim
  • appeal against a decision that you think is wrong

You can use our benefits calculator to see what benefits you might be entitled to and to see how much you might get.

Help with rent and Council Tax

You can also apply for help with Council Tax Reduction or Discount, Discretionary Housing Payment and possibly Housing Benefit (Universal Credit), local housing allowance and second adult reduction online.

Council Tax


If you are a Council tenant or rent from a private landlord, our Rent section has information on:

Debt Issues

If you're worried about debt or are struggling to manage your money, we can help.

Falkirk Council has its own Debt Advice Team who can give help and advice on all types of debt including rent and mortgage arrears, council tax, personal loans, hire purchase agreements, credit cards, store cards, payday loans and catalogues.

We can help you:

  • deal with your debts
  • review the money you have coming in and going out
  • understand what the people you owe money to, known as creditors, can and can't do to recover it

Our service is free, confidential, impartial and independent. We can answer most questions over the telephone.

Do you owe money to Falkirk Council?

If you have money due to Falkirk Council that you can no longer pay please contact us. We can extend the repayment period to relieve immediate pressure.

Scottish Welfare Fund

Scottish Welfare Fund grants do not have to be paid back.

There are two types of grant:

Crisis Grants

These grants are to meet an urgent need that poses an immediate and substantial risk to health and safety. These grants can help provide access to essential items such as food and energy supply (electricity or gas).

Community Care Grants

These grants are to help people remain in the community or move back into the community or help ease exceptional pressure. These grants can help provide access to a wide range of basic household items.

Food Banks

All our services can make a referral to the local food bank, so you and your family have the basic foodstuffs to live off.

Other Services

Other services offer help and advice in the area. It would be advisable to phone and check first to make sure they are still open.

Citizens Advice Bureau

Citizens Advice Bureaux are local, independent charities that provide free and confidential advice and information. They can help you:

  • manage your debts
  • improve your financial situation
  • make sure that you're getting all the benefits you're entitled to

Help with finding work

Our Employment and Training Unit is here to support those who have recently lost jobs due to the COVID-19 crisis.

We have been in contact with a wide variety of local employers and are also linked into national recruitment schemes operated by DWP and NHS. If you, or anyone you know, require support to get back into work, please contact us and we will arrange for an advisor to call you back.

Employment and Training Unit