The Falkirk Registration Office is closed to the public, other than by appointment for limited high priority tasks.
Death and still-birth registrations
A new process of remote registration has been introduced under the Coronavirus Act. This means that death and still-birth registrations can be done by telephone, without any need for the informant to attend the registration office in person.
- We will receive the medical certificate of cause of death via email from the doctor.
- Bereaved families will be advised to contact the registration office where they will be allocated an appointment to complete the registration by telephone.
- The Form 14 will be emailed to the funeral director or posted to you if preferred.
- Death certificates purchased after the completion of registration will be posted to you.
- We will not be operating the full Tell Us Once service. However, we will issue a reference number which will enable you to access the service online via gov.uk or you can call on 0800 085 7308
Remote registration is available from Monday to Friday.
From Monday 29 June 2020, in line with the Scottish Government framework - phase 2 update, we are registering births again at our registration office at Old Burgh Buildings in Newmarket Street. Given the backlog caused by the pandemic, this will be done on a phased basis depending on the date of birth of your child. Please note that the normal 21-day timeframe for in-person registration of births is currently suspended.
The birth registration procedure has changed to allow for minimal contact and to accommodate physical distancing.
- A registrar will call you on the number you have supplied to gather the information required for the registration, such as the child’s full name, parents’ names, date of marriage/civil partnership (if applicable).
- You will be asked on the call if you wish to obtain a full certificate of birth for a fee of £10.00. Payment can be taken over the phone.
- You will be offered an appointment time to call into the office to complete registration and sign the register page.
- Information will be sent to you by email in advance to help you when attending the office – this will include the health and safety measures put in place and what to bring with you.
- After the birth registration is complete, you will be issued with the abbreviated certificate of birth and the EC58 form for the NHS. These are both free of charge. If you have purchased a full certificate of birth, this will also be issued at this time.
- The appointment should last no more than 15 minutes.
Marriages and Civil Partnerships
We are able to carry out civil ceremonies in line with the Scottish Government's guidance for small marriages and civil partnership registrations.
Marriage and civil partnership ceremonies can take place indoors and outdoors with a maximum of 20 attendees. The registrar (or celebrant) and any necessary interpreter do not count towards the cap on numbers, indoors or outdoors, if the venue can accommodate that number safely.
For your safety, and that of our team, we have procedures and health and safety measures in place for ceremonies. Our ceremony room at Old Burgh Buildings can accommodate no more than a total of 8 people (this does not include the registrar/interpreter). Any bookings that are made with the registration service will be subject to any government restrictions that are in place at the time of the planned ceremony. Please contact the registration office if you wish further information.
For couples who have already submitted marriage notice papers:
- The Registrar General has given authority for the usual 3-month notice period to be extended without new notices being lodged if the marriage is to take place before 31 December 2020.
- Couples who have postponed weddings to 2021 will need to resubmit documents. However the statutory fee paid (and Council fees for civil weddings) will be carried over to the new wedding date.
For couples who require to submit marriage notice papers (within 3 months of the date of marriage and no less than 29 days):
The office remains closed to the public for submission of notice papers. However, forms can be posted to the registration office, along with copies of the supporting documents. Before issuing the marriage schedule, we will need to see the original documents. You will be given an appointment for this.
Our online ordering service is currently suspended due to high demand for statutory priority services. If you are looking to purchase an extract from an entry registered in Falkirk this year please contact the office direct and they will assist.
The registration team hold citizenship ceremonies on behalf of the Home Office. More information is available from the Home Office (https://www.gov.uk/citizenship-ceremonies).
European Passport Return Service
This service is currently suspended.
You can still telephone or email us: