This notice provides details of what information we collect from you, what we do with it, and who it might be shared with, when contacting us regarding the Cost of Living Payment.

Identity and contact details of the controller and the data protection officer

Falkirk Council is the data controller. You can contact the data protection officer at:

Data Protection Officer
The Foundry
4 Central Boulevard, Central Park

Frequently asked questions

  1. Table of contents

Why do we collect this information?

The information is being collected for the following purpose:

  1. To allow us to determine if you are eligible for the Cost of Living payment and to make this payment to you in the most appropriate way.

The legal basis for each purpose is set out below:

Legal basis Purpose
Performance of a contract  
Legal obligation 1
Vital interests  
Task carried out in the public interest  
Legitimate interests  

What information do we collect about you?

We collect the information needed to process your payment.

We will need your name and contact details (postal address, email address and/or phone numbers and Council Tax account number).

We may also need your national insurance number, your bank account details and information to verify those details.

We also keep copies of your communications with us and our responses.

If you provide anyone else's details to receive the payment, please make sure that you have told them that you have given their information to us and that we will only use this information to process and administer your payment.

Where do you collect information about me from?

We collect information from information already held on your Council Tax account or Council Tax Reduction application, and any follow-up communication with you.

Who might we share your information with?

We are legally obliged to safeguard public funds so we are required to verify and check your details internally for fraud prevention. We may share this information with other public bodies (and also receive information from these other bodies) for fraud checking purposes.

We are also legally obliged to share certain data with other public bodies, such as HMRC and will do so where the law requires this. We will also generally comply with requests for specific information from other regulatory and law enforcement bodies where this is necessary and appropriate.

Your information may also be analysed internally to help us improve our services.

We may also share your information internally with other services that can offer you appropriate support.

Do you use any automated processes to make decisions about me?

We do not use automated decision-making processes.

Will we send your information outwith the UK?

We do not transfer your information outwith the UK.

How long do we keep hold of your information?

We keep your information as long as required by law or by our business requirements. We have a Business Classification Scheme in place which sets out the types of records we hold, and how long we hold them - you can access the relevant part of the scheme below.


Do I have to provide my personal data to you?

You do not have to provide your personal data to us, but we may then not be able to process your payment.

What are my rights in relation to the information held about me?

You have the following rights:

  • To see any information held about you by making a subject access request.
  • To withdraw consent at any time, where the legal basis for processing is consent.
  • To data portability, where the legal basis for processing is (i) consent or (ii) performance of a contract.
  • To request rectification or erasure of your information, where data protection legislation allows this.

Do I have a right to complain about the way information has been used?

If you have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, please let us know and we will try to resolve this. If you are still concerned, you can contact the Information Commissioner:

Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Wilmslow, Cheshire

or if you prefer to use a national rate number:

This notice was last updated in March 2022.