When giving or sending the civil partnership notice forms to the registrar each of you must supply the following:

  • Your birth certificate
  • A decree of divorce or dissolution or annulment or a certified copy decree if you have been married or in a civil partnership before and the marriage or civil partnership has been dissolved or annulled. A decree of divorce or dissolution granted outside of Scotland must be absolute or final – a decree nisi is not acceptable. The death certificate of your former spouse or civil partner if they are deceased.
  • Evidence that you are a British Citizen. The easiest way to do this is to produce a full British passport. If you do not have a passport, evidence of the nationality of one of your parents will be required.
  • Evidence of your place of residence.

If any of these documents are in a language other than English, they must be translated.

These documents must be given to the registrar before the marriage. If time is getting short it is better to give notice and pass the documents to the registrar when they become available.

For more information, please contact your local registrar.

Are you subject to immigration controls?

If you visit Scotland to get married or register a civil partnership and are a national of a country outside the UK, you will need an entry clearance. The application form is available on the GOV.UK website.

Please check the UK Visas website if you intend to come to the UK to get married or have a civil partnership and settle here. If you have any questions, please contact the UK Border Agency Immigration Enquiry Bureau. You can also contact them by calling 0300 123 2241.

Registrars have a duty to report any civil partnership they suspect has been registered to evade immigration controls.