When submitting the marriage notice forms to the registrar, you both must include:

  • a completed Marriage Notice Form (Form M10) (PDF, 240KB)
  • your birth certificate
  • your passport
  • proof of current/usual residence - for eg Utility bill (not older than 3 months); bank/building society statement (not older than 1 month); most recent council tax bill; valid UK driving licence; letter signed by someone able to confirm period of residence at address eg relative accommodating individual (further supporting evidence may be needed)
  • a decree of divorce, dissolution or annulment if the person giving notice has previously been married or in a registered civil partnership and the marriage or civil partnership has been dissolved. A decree of divorce granted out with Scotland must be absolute or final, a decree nisi is not acceptable
  • if you are a widow or widower, the death certificate of your former spouse
  • if you are a person who is subject to the marriage laws of a country outside the United Kingdom you may be required to obtain a certificate of no impediment
  • if any of these documents is in a language other than English, a certified translation in English must also be provided
  • if you are a non-UK national you must complete and include a Declaration of Status by Non-UK Nationals Form (PDF, 131KB)
  • include a completed witness form (PDF, 108KB)

If any of these documents are in a language other than English, they must be translated.

These documents must be given to the registrar before the marriage. If time is getting short it is better to give notice and pass the documents to the registrar when they become available.

If you are not a permanent resident of the United Kingdom

If you are a national of a country outside the United Kingdom you are subject to the marriage laws of that country.

You must complete and include a Declaration of Status by Non-UK Nationals Form (PDF, 131KB).

You must follow the normal procedure of giving notice to the Registrar in Scotland. You should also provide a 'certificate of no impediment' to show you are not married in the country you are a national of. If you do not have this certificate, it may not be possible for you to marry in Scotland.

If you have lived in the United Kingdom for the last 2 years or more you do not need to submit this certificate.

For more information, please contact your local registrar.

Are you subject to immigration controls?

If you visit Scotland to get married or register a civil partnership and are a national of a country outside the UK, you will need an entry clearance. The application form is available on the GOV.UK website.

Please check the UK Visas website if you intend to come to the UK to get married or have a civil partnership and settle here. If you have any questions, please contact the UK Border Agency Immigration Enquiry Bureau.

Registrars have a duty to report any marriage they suspect has been registered to evade immigration controls.