The Marriage Notice Application form should be submitted to the registrar for the district you want to register your marriage in.

You must submit your notices at least 29 days before the marriage. This gives the registrar time to satisfy himself that you are free to marry each other. You may have to postpone your marriage if the form is submitted late.

Notices should be with the registrar 8 weeks before the marriage. If either of you has been married before, the notices should be with the registrar 10 weeks before the marriage.

In exceptional circumstances, the Registrar General will allow a marriage to take place if 29 days' notice has not been given.

Only one person needs to appear to hand in the marriage notice, but the registrar may ask you to attend to finalise the ceremony arrangements.

The registrar may ask to see a valid passport or other documents as evidence of your nationality and proof of residency.