Licence summary

To run wholesale and retail premises that store and/or sell fireworks of up to 2 tonnes (net explosives content), you must be registered, or licensed, with the Falkirk Council Trading Standards (or in former Metropolitan Authorities, the Fire and Rescue Service) in England, Scotland and Wales.

In Northern Ireland you need to register with the Northern Ireland Office.

To run wholesale or retail premises storing more than 2 tonnes (net explosives content), you need a licence from the Health & Safety Executive.

  • Fees will be payable for a licence.
  • Conditions may be attached to a licence.

Eligibility criteria

No provision under legislation.

Regulation summary

Application evaluation process

Falkirk Council must have regard to the need to minimise the risk that fireworks will be used with harmful consequences for people, animals or property, when considering an application for allowing the storage of fireworks.

Any application for a licence received by Falkirk Council will be processed as quickly as possible and, in any event, within a period of 2 weeks. This period will run from the time that all of the required information has been submitted.


Section D charges are set by the Health & Safety Executive or prescribed by Regulation and are exempt from VAT.

Fee type 1 year 2 years 3 years
Initial Registration of Premises for the keeping of explosives £109.00 £141.00 £173.00
Renewal of Registration of Premises for the keeping of explosives £54.00 £86.00 £120.00
Initial licence to store explosives £185.00 £243.00 £304.00
Renewal of licence to store explosives £86.00 £147.00 £206.00
Fireworks (Safety) Regulations 2005 Licence to supply fireworks all year round £500

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that Falkirk Council must process your application before it can be granted.

If you have not heard from us within 2 weeks, please contact us.

How to apply

To apply for an application for a fireworks storage licence, you can complete the form below and send it to Falkirk Council by email or post:

Failed application and licence holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

If you have a complaint, please contact the trader first, preferably in writing. If you do this by letter, make sure you get proof of delivery.

If you've done this and feel your complaint still hasn't been resolved, contact the Citizens Advice Bureau.

But if you do not live in the UK, you'll need to contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress

For example; complaints about noise, pollution, etc should be directed to the Environmental Protection Unit.

Environmental Protection Unit
Abbotsford House
Davids Loan

Any breach of curfew times or rules should be reported to Police Scotland.

If anyone tries to sell you fireworks door to door, or if you know of any business selling fireworks which is not on the list of registered premises, please contact Trading Standards:

Premises registered to store fireworks

Additional information

Registering to store fireworks

All premises where fireworks are stored must be registered or licensed by Falkirk Council. The current registration fee for new premises is £105.00. Annual renewal of registration is £52.00.

Restrictions on when it is legal to supply adult fireworks under a registration are:

  • Chinese New Year (05 February 2019): 13 to 16 February 2019
  • Guy Fawkes Night (05 November): 15 October to 10 November
  • Diwali (27 October 2019): occurs during Guy Fawkes selling period
  • New Year (31 December): 26 to 31 December

A licence for the storage of fireworks which permits their year round sale costs £500 per year.

Each premises is inspected to ensure that the storage conditions are safe and secure and the types of firework for sale are appropriate.

The law for purchasing or possessing fireworks

  • It is illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to possess adult fireworks in a public place (category 1 fireworks and sparklers are exempt).
  • The age limit for buying adult fireworks or sparklers is 18.
  • Category 1 fireworks (caps, cracker snaps, novelty matches, party poppers, serpents, and throwdowns) must not be supplied to persons under 16.
  • You can be fined for letting off fireworks off in a public place. The street outside is a public place, as is the Council park, the bus station, the schoolyard, the football stadium or the youth centre.
  • It is illegal to break open retail packs of fireworks and sell them individually.
  • Any breach of the curfew times or these rules should be reported to Police Scotland.

The Firework Safety Code

  • Only buy fireworks marked BS 7114.
  • Don't drink alcohol if setting off fireworks.
  • Keep fireworks in a closed box.
  • Follow the instructions on each firework.
  • Light them at arm's length, using a taper.
  • Stand well back.
  • Never go near a firework that has been lit. Even if it doesn't go off, it could still explode.
  • Never put fireworks in your pocket or throw them.
  • Always supervise children around fireworks.
  • Light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves.
  • Never give sparklers to a child under five.
  • Keep pets indoors.

Curfew times

It is illegal to set fireworks off between 11:00pm and 7:00am except in the following cases:

  • November 5: it is permitted to let off fireworks until midnight.
  • New Year's Eve, Chinese New Year and Diwali: it is permitted to let off fireworks until 1:00am on the following day.