When the registrar is satisfied there is no legal impediment to the marriage, they will prepare a Marriage Schedule from the information that you have given. The Schedule is the most important document - no marriage can proceed without it.
- If you are having a religious or belief marriage the Marriage Schedule will be issued to you by the registrar. The schedule cannot be issued more than 7 days before the marriage and the registrar will advise you when to attend to collect it. The Schedule can only be collected by the prospective couple.
- The Marriage Schedule must be produced before the marriage ceremony to the person performing the marriage.
- Immediately after the ceremony the Schedule must be signed in black fountain pen, by both parties, by the person performing the marriage and by the 2 witnesses. Thereafter it must be returned to the registrar within three days so that the marriage can be registered.
- If you are having a civil marriage a Marriage Schedule will not be issued, but the registrar will have it available at the ceremony for signature, they will then register the marriage.
- A fee for the marriage and, if applicable, for the attendance of the registrar at an agreed authorised place is payable to the registrar at the time of giving notice.
The Marriage Certificate
After the marriage has been registered you can obtain copies of the Marriage Certificate from the registrar upon payment of the appropriate fee.
The marriage certificate application form can be downloaded below:
- Marriage Certificate Application Form
PDF file, 73.5 KB
Once completed, the application can be emailed to
email@example.com. Alternatively it can be handed in or posted to our registration office.