Our qualified, experienced staff can offer a range of pest control services to homes and businesses within the Falkirk Council area.

We treat the problem using equipment and controlled pesticides, to keep you safe and minimise damage to the environment.

There is a charge for the treatment of wasps, insects and vermin.

  1. Table of contents


Residents in receipt of benefits will be eligible to a 50% discount.


Cost: £50.50

What is covered by the cost:

  • An initial visit, including treatment, if required
  • A further treatment after 14 days, only if the problem persists
  • Thereafter any calls for service will incur a further charge

We only treat wasps' nests from the outside of the property. The homeowner does not need to be in when we treat the nest as long as we have access to all the outside areas, for example the back gate is left unlocked.

Wasp nests will generally not be viable to treat before July each year and sightings are more likely to be either Bees or Masonry Bees between April and June. The Pest Control service will not treat Bees. Therefore, any calls for wasps resulting in Pest Control attendance will result in a charge whether treatment is provided or not.

If you are unsure whether you have wasps or bees, please either call first on 01324 506070 or send visuals to wasteservices@falkirk.gov.uk.


Cost: £58.00

What is covered by the cost:

  • An initial visit where the Pest Control officer will gather evidence, identify or forward the insect for verification and offer preparation advice.
  • The charge includes a treatment, if required.
  • A further treatment after 28 days, only if the infestation persists.

No treatment will be offered if the area is not prepared as instructed.


Cost: £57.00

What is covered by the cost:

  • An initial visit, including treatment, if required.
  • A vermin proofing examination with advice on any actions required.
  • Further treatment until the infestation is eradicated - with a limit of 3 visits per paid treatment request.
  • Thereafter any additional visits or calls for service will incur a further charge.


How much does it cost for businesses?

We request businesses contact us to discuss their individual requirements. Please email Waste Services:

What we can't treat

There are pests we can not treat:

  • Ants
  • Bats (all species of bat found in the UK are protected by law)
  • Bees (we only treat bees if their presence causes a serious risk to public health)
  • Birds (including gulls, pigeons, seagulls)
  • Booklice (woodworm)
  • Cats (including feral cats)
  • Cluster flies
  • Earwigs
  • Flies (including bluebottles)
  • Foxes
  • Moles
  • Moths
  • Snails/slugs
  • Squirrels
  • Woodlice (slaters)

Report a pest problem

There are some jobs, which may be too large or specialised for our officers to deal with. If this is the case, it is the responsibility of the householder to arrange a private pest control company to deal with the problem.

Please note some nests can be difficult to reach if they are too high, and we may not be able to treat them.

Keeping your house and business pest free

A few top tips to help keep your home and business pest free:

  • Wipe kitchen surfaces, clean up any food, and throw away uneaten pet food waste
  • Keep foodstuffs covered
  • Keeping your home ventilated, by regularly opening windows for example, helps prevent bug breeding grounds – fresh air prevents warm, humid areas being created
  • Block up any cracks and crevices
  • Keep an eye on your pets - fleas are common and can be managed by the use of flea treatments.

Controlling pests yourself

There are things you can do to control pests (insects or animals causing harm or nuisance) on your property.

If you choose to control the pests yourself, you can:

  • only trap or kill permitted animals
  • use permitted methods to kill animals
  • only use poison to kill the pests it's intended for - this will be written on the packaging
  • only use traps that have been approved for use with the species you want to control - you must follow the instructions for use

You can be fined or imprisoned if you cause unnecessary harm to any animal.

Get professional advice if you don't know:

  • which animals you're permitted to trap or kill
  • how to use control methods (eg traps and poisons) correctly

The British Pest Control Association (BPCA) lists what you can use to control specific pests.

Protecting other wildlife from harm

You must protect other animals from traps or poison you put down for pests by:

  • placing lethal traps under cover or so that other animals and birds aren't caught
  • preventing wildlife from eating poison you've put down

It's an offence to disturb or destroy bats, or any place they're living (roosting), even if it's inside your home.

Frequently asked questions

  1. Table of contents

How can I request a pest control service?

You can request pest control treatment by completing the online request form or you can call us on 01324 506070.

Where will you treat vermin (rats and mice) on a property?

We do not treat for mice outside a property as this constitutes their natural habitat. Outside a property would include sheds, outbuildings (including non-integral garages).

We will treat rats inside and outside a property as they present a potential public health issue.

What constitutes the end of a treatment for vermin?

The Pest Control officer will schedule revisits every 7 to 8 days (in most cases) to check any bait stations in place. If bait is being taken the Officer will replenish the station. Any bait station showing 'no take' will be removed. Once all bait stations are removed the treatment has concluded. Bait cannot be left in place where there is 'no take' ie for peace of mind. This would constitute a breach of Campaign for Responsible Rodenticide Use (CRRU) regulations.

How long does a treatment take?

This can be variable due to a number of factors. As an average, the full treatment will take around 4 visits over 4 weeks. However, this depends on a number of factors such as size of the infestation, re-infestation, accessibility of alternative foods etc.

Why don't you carry out treatments for mice in the garden or outdoors?

Due to the risks from using rodenticides outdoors and the low risk or harm from mice, we will not carry out any treatments which are unnecessary, ineffective or of risk to humans, pets or other non-target wildlife. It is also their natural habitat.

Is there any discount on the cost of pest control treatment if I receive benefits?

There is a 50% discount for residents in receipt of the following eligible benefits:

  • Income support
  • Income-based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Any income related element of Employment and Support Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit but not Working Tax Credit, with an income of less than £16,105
  • Both maximum Child Tax Credit and maximum Working Tax Credit with an income of less than £6,514
  • Universal Credit with a monthly earned income of not more than £610
  • Pension Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Reduction

What day will my pest control visit take place?

Each area has an allocated visit day for pest control for both households and businesses. We do not provide a weekend or out of hours service.

All pest control treatment services must be requested no later than 12:30pm the day before your area's visit collection day. Where possible please request the pest control visit a few days before the scheduled day.

*If you live in Bo'ness, Blackness, Grangemouth or Skinflats please request your pest control visit before 12:30pm on the Friday before your allocated visit day. Any requests logged after 12:30pm on Friday will be visited on Monday, the following week.

Where we can, we will contact you to bring forward your booking - subject to volume of service requests scheduled each day.

Area Treatment day
Ward 1
Bo'ness and Blackness*
Ward 2
Grangemouth and Skinflats*
Ward 4
Stenhousemuir, Carronshore, Airth, Letham, Dunmore and South Alloa
Ward 5
Bonnybridge, High Bonnybridge, Greenhill, Larbert and Torwood
Ward 6
Bainsford, Middlefield, Grahamston, Langlees and Carron
Ward 7
Camelon, Tamfourhill, Hallglen, Glen Village, Bantaskine, Woodlands, Princes Park and Lionthorn
Ward 8
Laurieston, Polmont, Redding, Westquarter, Redding and Brightons
Ward 9
Maddiston, Slamannan, Whitecross, Rumford, California, Avonbridge, Standburn, Wallacestone and Shieldhill
Ward 3
Denny, Dunipace, Haggs, Longcroft, Banknock and Head of Muir

I wasn't at home when the pest control officer visited?

If the pest control officer attends at a property and does not have access, a note advising of the missed call will be left at the address.