1. Table of contents

Licence summary

To run a business selling pet animals you need a licence from Falkirk Council. This includes all commercial selling of pet animals, including pet shops and businesses selling animals over the internet.

Eligibility criteria

Applicants for a pet shop licence must not be disqualified from keeping a pet shop.

A fee, determined by Falkirk Council, will be payable on application.

Regulation summary

Application evaluation process

Falkirk Council must have regard to the following when considering an application for a pet shop licence.

  • Animals will be kept in suitable accommodation, for example in regards to temperature, size, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness.
  • Adequate food and drink will be provided to the animals and they will be visited at suitable intervals.
  • Any mammalian animals will not be sold too young.
  • Steps are taken to prevent disease spreading among the animals.
  • Adequate fire and emergency provisions are in place.
  • Conditions can be attached to a licence to ensure that the above are complied with.

A non-refundable fee will be payable for applications and if the licence is granted conditions may be attached.

Fee type Cost
Pet Shop Licence £276.30
Pet Shop Licence (Renewal) £128.50 plus Vet's fee if required

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that Falkirk Council must process your application before it can be granted.

If you have not heard from us within 28 days, please contact us.

How to apply

To apply, change or renew a pet shop licence you can complete the form below and send it to Falkirk Council by email or post:

Failed application and licence holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

If you have a complaint, please contact the trader first, preferably in writing. If you do this by letter, make sure you get proof of delivery.

If you've done this and feel your complaint still hasn’t been resolved, contact the Citizens Advice Bureau.

But if you do not live in the UK, you’ll need to contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress

For example; complaints about noise, pollution, etc should be directed to the Environmental Protection Unit.

Environmental Protection Unit
Falkirk Stadium
4 Stadium Way

A police officer or officer of the local authority may make a complaint to the local court if they feel that animals have been subject to cruelty.