Falkirk Council Housing Services is committed to maintaining, improving and developing communication, engagement, participation and scrutiny with its community. This notice provides details of what information we collect from you, what we do with it and who it might be shared with.

Identity and contact details of the controller and the data protection officer

Falkirk Council is the data controller. You can contact the data protection officer at:

Data Protection Officer
Municipal Buildings
West Bridge Street

Frequently asked questions

Why do we collect this information?

We need to process your data in order to ensure that the services we are providing are fit for purpose, efficient and effective and to comply with certain statutory and legal obligations. The information is being collected for the following purposes:

  1. To maintain a register of Registered Tenants & Residents Organisations (RTOs)
  2. To engage and consult with the community
  3. To promote the work of individuals and groups within the community

The legal basis for each purpose is set out below:

Legal basis Purpose
Consent 3
Performance of a contract  
Legal obligation 1
Vital interests  
Task carried out in the public interest 1, 2
Legitimate interests  

Where we are relying on tasks carried out in the public interest or legal obligation, we must comply with the applicable legislation. The key piece of legislation is the Housing (Scotland) Act 2001 which requires the Housing service to maintain a register of RTOs and to consult with members of the registered tenant organisations.

What information do we collect about you?

Personal data that we collect includes your name, address and contact details (including telephone number and email ). We may take photographs at events and in our communities to use for general marketing and publicity. However, photographs of individuals will only be used for those purposes with your consent. We also keep a copy of minutes that record discussions that have taken place taken at meetings.

We keep copies of communications with us and our responses. This allows us to record our communications with you, make decisions, monitor our performance and improve the services that we deliver.

We will keep your information safe and secure and have systems, processes and training designed to achieve this.

Where do we collect information from?

We collect information from you using a variety of different methods. These include completing forms, entering one of our competitions and when you call, write, email or meet with us. On occasion, our council photographer may take photographs.

Who might we share your information with?

The register of RTOs is shared with the Scottish Government and the Scottish Housing Regulator. Contact details for RTOs are also shared with new tenants in the area covered by the RTO, published on the Falkirk Council website and, occasionally, in other publicity material produced by Housing Services.

Will we send your information outwith the UK?

We do not transfer your information outwith the UK. Should it become necessary to do so, we would ensure appropriate safeguards are in place.

How long do we keep hold of your information?

We keep your information for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for. Below is a summary of the key retention periods.

Information Length of time it's kept
Register of Registered Tenants & Residents Organisations (RTOs) Up-to-date with current registered organisations
Consultation Register (including contact details for sub-groups) Up-to-date
Tenant Enquiries 2 years once enquiry has been dealt with
Images of individuals and groups of people who are (or have been) involved 4 years. See Photographic and video images privacy notice for more details
Minutes of RTOs, Tenants' & Residents' Forum and various sub-groups 3 years
Tenant Talk competition returns 3 years
2018/19 Rent Increase consultation returns (some with personal contact details) 5 years once the consultation period has expired
Make a Difference project award applications 6 years once the decision has been made

What are my rights in relation to the information held about me?

You have the following rights:

  • To see any information held about you by making a subject access request.
  • To withdraw consent at any time, where the legal basis for processing is consent.
  • To data portability, where the legal basis for processing is (i) consent or (ii) performance of a contract.
  • To request rectification or erasure of your information, where data protection legislation allows this.

Do I have a right to complain about the way information has been used?

If you have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, please let us know and we will try to resolve this. If you are still concerned, you can contact the Information Commissioner:

Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Wilmslow, Cheshire

Do I have to provide my personal data to you?

We have a legal responsibility to maintain the register of RTOs and to consult with registered tenant organisations and therefore we must collect the information required. All other details are voluntary and therefore you do not need to provide information to us.

Do you use any automated processes to make decisions about me?

We do not use automated decision making processes.

This notice was last updated in January 2019.