Every parent and carer who has a child of school age must provide that child with an education suitable to their age and ability. You must do this by making sure your child regularly attends school or by other means, such as home education. We have a duty to provide appropriate education for all children over 5 years and under 16 years of age.

Each school serves an area which is known as the school catchment. Each address in the Falkirk Council area is allocated a primary and secondary denominational and non-denominational school.

Most children attend their catchment school but you may choose another school via submission of a placing request.

At the beginning of primary 1, you can choose to send your child to your catchment area non-denominational or denominational school if they are baptised Roman Catholic. A copy RC baptismal certificate must be provided.

Primary School enrolment

The start date for the 2022-2023 session is 17 August 2022.

At what age can my child start school?

If your child becomes 5 after 01 March 2022 and on or before 17 August 2022, your child must start school in August 2022.

Children who become 5 after 17 August 2022 but before 01 March 2023 can also start school in August 2022.

If your child is only 4 years of age at the start of the session in August 2022, you can choose to delay your child's entry into primary 1. Please note applications will be accepted from 01 November 2021 until 28 February 2022 only for an additional pre-school year.

Children who become 5 years of age after 28 February 2023 are not entitled to start primary education until August 2023. You can request for your child to start earlier using our early entry application.

Early entry to school form

You can enrol your child for Primary 1 starting August 2022, from 01 November 2021 until 31 December 2021.

If you have missed the Primary 1 enrolment period please contact the Forward Planning Officer on 01324 506608.

You can read our Admissions policy to see how we prioritise admissions to schools for both enrolments and placing requests.

Admissions Policy

Do you know?

Best Start Grants are available to parents and carers on low income during the early years of a child's life.

Want to transfer schools mid-session?

If you move address mid-session, or are new to the Falkirk Council area, and wish to enrol at your catchment school, please complete an online enrolment form.

Secondary School enrolment

Most children will transfer to the catchment secondary school for their home address once they have finished primary school. If a secondary 1 pupil would like to attend a high school which is not their catchment high school, they must submit a placing request. Transfers between denominational and non-denominational schools also need a placing request.

Parents of primary 7 pupils will be told of the transition arrangements to high school each November. Pupils seeking a place at high school through a placing request will be included in transition arrangements to the requested high school wherever possible. This is because transition arrangements begin before decisions about a placing request are made.

Financial support

Parents/carers may be entitled to additional financial support.

Our Benefits & support section lists many benefits including the Best Start Grant, School Age Payment and the Scottish Child Payment.