To serve the interests of my constituents and to allow me to fulfil my role as an elected member, I need to collect, store, use, share and dispose of personal data. This privacy notice explains how I will use your personal data as an elected member of Falkirk Council.

Identity and contact details of the controller

Each elected member (councillor) is a data controller. You can find your local Councillor on our Councillors page.

Frequently asked questions

  1. Table of contents

What information do I collect about you?

I collect personal information such as your name, address, date of birth or a unique identifier such as your national insurance number.

I may also collect special category information (sensitive information) that reveals racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade union membership and data concerning health or sex life.

I also keep copies of your communications with me and my responses, and communications on your behalf with the Council and other organisations.

Where do I collect information from?

I usually collect information from you, although occasionally I get information from someone else on your behalf, such as a family member. The information I hold about you may be collected in several ways: in person, on a paper or online form, by telephone, email or from a member of Falkirk Council staff.

Why do I collect this information?

I use personal data to support my role as an elected member, for example, to enable me to undertake case work on behalf of individual constituents, to represent the interests of my constituency and to further the interests of the ward in which I serve.

I will only process your personal data when it is lawful to do so. As an elected member, the most common reason is the performance of a task carried out in the public interest. Where I process sensitive information, the reason is that of substantial public interest.

On occasions when I need your consent to collect information, for example to ask you to subscribe to a mailing list, I will ask you for this. You can withdraw your consent to this at any time.

Who might I share your information with?

I may need to share your personal data with Council officers and other elected members to address constituent concern. By law, I may be required to share personal data for the prevention or detection of crime.

Will I send your information outwith the UK?

I will not transfer your information outwith the UK.

How long do I keep hold of your information?

I will not keep your personal data for any longer than it is needed and I will dispose of any records (both paper and electronic) in a secure way. In general, I will not retain your personal data without your permission beyond the end of this Council term, 05 May 2027.

What are my rights in relation to the information held about me?

You have the following rights:

  • To see any information held about you by making a subject access request.
  • To withdraw consent at any time, where the legal basis for processing is consent.
  • To data portability, where the legal basis for processing is (i) consent or (ii) performance of a contract.
  • To request rectification or erasure of your information, where data protection legislation allows this.

Do I have a right to complain about the way information has been used?

If you have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, please let me know and I will try to resolve this. If you are still concerned, you can contact the Information Commissioner:

Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Wilmslow, Cheshire

Do I have to provide my personal data to you?

You do not have to provide information to me, but I may then be unable to assist you.

Do you use any automated processes to make decisions about me?

I do not use automated decision making processes.

This notice was last updated in August 2019.