1. Table of contents

What happens at your interview

We will arrange for you to have an interview with a trained officer. Our staff are fully trained to offer all information and advice you may need and our services are free, confidential, professional and understanding.

Your interview should take around an hour depending on your circumstances. The more information you give us about your situation, the easier it will be for us to make the right decision for you.

When you come for our interview we can:

  • Offer you a private interview with a trained Caseworker
  • Offer you temporary accommodation if required
  • Provide an interpreter or sign-language service if you need one
  • Offer you an interview with a Caseworker of the same sex

What you need to bring

Please bring as much information as possible about your situation to the interview. This includes any relevant documentation or evidence.

You should bring the following information:

  • Identification - such as a passport, birth certificate or driving licence
  • Your National Insurance Number
  • Proof of income and Benefit award letters

The interview helps us find out more about your situation and work out how we can help you. Even if you don't need somewhere to stay immediately, it is important that you attend the interview so we can start working with you to resolve your housing problem.

We will decide whether or not you:

  • Are officially considered homeless or at risk of becoming homeless within two months
  • Have not deliberately acted in a way that has caused you to be homeless
  • Have a local connection within the Falkirk Council area

We will consider you homeless if all of the above apply to you.

How long will the assessment take and to reach a decision?

It can take 28 days for us to assess your situation and make a decision on your homeless application. This may take longer depending on the information you give us.

We will write to you to tell you our decision or to tell you if it will take us longer than 28 days to make a decision.

Your Assessment Officer will keep you informed on the progress of your application.

What happens while I am waiting on the decision?

If you need it, you still have the right to temporary housing while you are waiting. You can get temporary housing until we:

  • Give you help and advice to find somewhere else
  • Offer you permanent housing

If we can't offer you permanent housing, we will explain why. You have the right to appeal this decision. If you would like to appeal our decision, please contact us.