Coronavirus (COVID-19) information

For the latest information regarding licensing, please see our dedicated Advice for new applicants and current licence holders page.

Our licensing office is closed to the public but we are operating a service remotely.

For more information on Coronavirus (COVID-19):

Immigration Act 2016

From 01 December 2016 anyone who applies for a new taxi driver licence will need to submit the application in person to the licensing office, along with the original documentation to show that they have the right to work in the UK. All existing licence holders will also be required to do the same at time of renewal.

The acceptable documents are listed in Documents for the Right to Work in the UK below.

Documents for the Right to Work in the UK

If you are able to show us that you have no restrictions to work in the UK, the next time you make an application, you don't need to come into the office.

If your right to work in the UK is time limited, then your taxi driver licence will not be issued longer than your period of permission to work in the UK. You may extend your licence if the permission is extended. You will need to come into the licensing office with the original documents when extending the licence - this will also apply if you are renewing your licence.

To work as a taxi driver in the Falkirk Council area, either employed or self-employed, you need a licence. A taxi driver licence allows you to drive a taxi or private hire car.

If you wish to operate a vehicle as a taxi or private hire car, a separate licence known as a taxi operator licence or a private hire car operator licence is required.

If you are applying for a new taxi driver licence the licence will be granted for a period of 1 year.

If you are applying to renew a taxi driver licence you have the choice of applying for a 1 or a 3 year licence.

How to Apply

The following taxi driver licence application forms are available for download (and you can also get an application form by contacting us):

Taxi Driver Licence - application form
Renewal of Taxi or Private Hire Car Driver Licence - application form

Your completed application form, supporting documentation and fee should be sent to:

Licensing Section
Municipal Buildings
West Bridge Street