If you're worried about debt or are struggling to manage your money, we can help. Last year over 1000 people in the Falkirk Council area got help from local money advice services.

How we can help

We have our own Debt Advice Team and can give you help and advice on all types of debt including rent and mortgage arrears, council tax, personal loans, hire purchase agreements, credit cards, store cards, payday loans, catalogues and fuel bills.

We can help you:

  • with personal budgeting support
  • deal with your debts
  • review the money you have coming in and going out
  • understand what the people you owe money to, known as creditors, can and can't do to recover it

Advice is free, confidential and impartial and is available to anyone who lives or works in the Falkirk Council area.

If you have a question about money or debt, or want to know more about how money advice can help you, contact us.

If you are facing eviction or repossession within the next 72 hours or need to speak to an adviser urgently, please call us on 01324 506735.

* Monday to Friday: 10am - 12pm and 2pm - 4pm

If you need guidance on how to connect to a video call or are having problems call us on 01324 506735.

Video conference appointments are offered to all of our clients. Please follow the link to our online referral or contact us on the telephone number below to speak to an adviser who will arrange an appointment for you and provide you with a link to join.

Citizens Advice Bureau

Citizens Advice Bureau are local, independent charities that provide free and confidential advice and information whoever you are and whatever your problem. They can help you:

  • manage your debts
  • improve your financial situation
  • make sure that you’re getting all the benefits you’re entitled to
Falkirk CAB
3 Meeks Road
Grangemouth and Bo’ness CAB
4/6 York Arcade
Denny and Dunipace CAB
24 Duke Street

Online tools

You can use our budgeting tool to help your create your own personal budget plan.

What are my options for dealing with debt?

Your options may include the following:

  1. Table of contents

For help with fuel debt, our Energy grants page lists help available.

Reduce payments

If you have income left after paying your housing costs, fuel and food we can contact your creditors with a financial statement offering affordable repayments.

Debt Payment Plan (Debt Arrangement Scheme)

The Debt Payment Plan (DPP) is a debt management tool introduced by the Scottish Government. The DPP can help you pay your debt in a managed way, so you are not being pressured by your creditors and preventing the threat of court action.

Trust Deed

This is a more formal arrangement and you need to have outstanding debt of £5000 or more. You must be able to make a payment to your trust deed by having disposable income available or an asset (normally property) to be sold to finance an offer to your creditors. As a rule the trust deed normally becomes protected by law, meaning your creditors cannot take action against you during the time it lasts. The period you would contribute usually lasts for 48 months, after this you would normally be discharged from your debt.


This is usually a last resort for serious debt problems. There are 2 ways to apply for bankruptcy:

Minimal Assets Process (MAP)

If you wish to apply for you own bankruptcy, you must have debt over £1500, with no assets and no disposable income. You will be able to apply for your own Bankruptcy through the Minimal Assets Process (MAP). The application fee for this is £50.00 however if you are in receipt of certain benefits or payments there will be no charge. You will be discharged from your bankruptcy after 6 months.

Full Administration Bankruptcy

If you have debt over £25,000 you can apply for your own Bankruptcy through a Full Administration Bankruptcy. You will need a Certificate for Sequestration which you will be given by a Money Adviser. The application fee for this option is £150.00. If you cooperate with your Trustee, you will be discharged from you Bankruptcy after 12 months. Please note that with this option you may have to make a contribution for up to 48 months.

For further information please contact the Accountant in Bankruptcy directly or contact a Money Adviser to discuss.

Token payments

These are usually regular payment between £1 and £50 per month that can be offered to creditors instead of the full monthly agreed repayment. This option is particularly useful if your circumstances are only temporary ie off work sick or recently been made redundant.


A moratorium is a legally authorised hold on your debt payments for a period of time.

Home Owners Support Fund

The Scottish Government's Home Owners Support Fund (HOSF) is for home owners who are finding it difficult to pay their mortgage or any loans that are secured against their property. HOSF has two schemes for home owners:

  • The Mortgage to Rent Scheme
  • The Mortgage to Shared Equity Scheme

These schemes help people who are in danger of having their homes repossessed to stay in their homes as tenants of a social landlord.

How we deal with your personal details

We treat the information you give us in confidence. However, sometimes we may have to share this information with other services. We will tell you if we need to do this and ask for your permission. You can access your case records at any time and copies of all letters can be provided.

See how much our Debt Advice service has helped Falkirk Council residents:

In the last financial year 2021/22 the Service helped 752 new clients deal with debts totalling £5million. Financial Gain recorded for clients was £563,844.81.

Total number of client's and debt per ward (April 2021 – March 2022)

Electoral ward Total debt recorded Number of clients
FC Staff £24,605.03 9
Bo'ness / Blackness £325,380.86 57
Bonnybridge & Larbert £1,168,989.25 56
Carse, Kinnaird & Tryst £543,318.37 51
Denny & Banknock £519,060.35 74
Falkirk North £703,086.28 168
Falkirk South £263,018.98 59
Grangemouth £782,040.62 164
Lower Braes £324,056.19 47
Upper Braes £304,283.76 64
Other (outwith Area) £102,751.92 3
Total £5,060,591.61 752

Frequently asked questions

  1. Can I be visited in my own home by someone from the debt advice service?
  2. Can the debt advisor represent me at court?
  3. What kind of debt can you advise me on?
  4. Is it only council tenants that can get help from the debt advice service?

Can I be visited in my own home by someone from the debt advice service?

Yes, the debt advisors can arrange to see you in your own home.

Can the debt advisor represent me at court?

Depending on the type of court action involved, our debt advisers can represent you at court.

What kind of debt can you advise me on?

We can provide you with help and advice on all types of debt including rent and mortgage arrears, council tax, fuel bills, personal loans, hire purchase agreements, credit cards, store cards, payday loans and catalogues.

Is it only council tenants that can get help from the debt advice service?

No, the debt advice service is a free service for anyone who needs it.